Friday, November 7, 2008

Joshua's "new" blankie

This blanket was a gift to Mom W. when David was born. That was almost 30 years ago now. When I was expecting Joshua, Mom passed it on to me, and I really like it. For one thing, it's big enough where David used it as an extra blanket on his regular bed for a while. Besides, it's just neat to think this was your husband's baby blanket, and now his son is making use of it.

At first glance, it looks to be in pretty good shape for being in use so many years.


But that is before you see the edging. That was my first clue that I needed to do something. It was positively disintegrating.


And the back? Almost in shreds. It was that nylon-y sort of backing that fell almost to pieces with all the washing it was getting.


So last Saturday, David gallantly took me to town to go fabric shopping. I found some plaid flannel that matched just like it was made for the blanket:


I trimmed off the old edging and pinned and stitched front and back together:


Then I used some copper-colored 2" ribbon to bind the edges. There were a few spots where it got a little bunched or wasn't aligned just so, but for a beginner, I was tickled with the finished result!


Now the blanket is ready to go for hopefully many more years!

5 comments:

AnnaMiluska said...

I really like the blanket and the story that goes with it. Good job fixing it up. It looks very good!
Hannah A.

An Old Fashioned Girl said...

Great job! It's really cute!!

Anonymous said...

I would definitely be tickled! You did such a wonderful job!

DaveWick said...

You didn't mention that I dropped you off at JoAnns and took Josh to Menards :)

Kristi said...

the only reason i didn't mention you going to menards was that it seemed to be a tangent. you know me and my tangents. :-) i just didn't want to make the story too long or get off track.