In the last week or two, we've had enough snow to not only cover the ground, but to make some pretty impressive drifts around our house. It seems that the layout of the yard and the wind coming from the west make the right combination to create a 3 - 4 foot drift all the way along the back of our house and around the south corner/side. The drift stands about 5 feet away from the house itself, with grass even poking through in places, where it simply gets blown away.
It was a tunnel-digging day today if ever there was one. That drift was just begging to be tunneled through! We actually started out collecting wood for our fireplace, but once that was done, we gravitated to the back of the house and started digging. David started out and was making much greater progress on his tunnel than I was on mine, so I floundered over and around the drift to the backside, where I started digging to meet up with him.
Once the tunnel was complete, we took turns crawling through to show the kids how fun it was, and actually convinced all of them that it was not only okay to get snow on you, but it could be downright fun! Joshua braved it first, then Elisa decided that if Joshua could do it, so could she. Abigail took a little more convincing, but after a minute, she crawled through too, in spite of boohooing the whole time.
On the return trip, they crawled through in reverse order, and this time Abigail only cried a little bit at the end, when Joshua decided he didn't want to stay in the tunnel waiting for her to stand up in the snow, and kind of bowled both girls over - Elisa on top of Abigail's legs - and she didn't like that.
Anyhow, I deem this a victory, considering the way the kids burst into tears last winter when I tried to show them how to make snow angels. I fell back into the snow and J. and E. started wailing! It seemed pretty traumatic to think that Mommy fell into this strange, cold white stuff called snow...

2 comments:
I miss you all a LOT!!!
My big girls didn't like the snow when they were 1-2 yrs. either. Miranda likes to go out now because the big girls or Daddy are out there, but she just stands on the sidewalk and stomps around. :)
Post a Comment