For the most part, I worked with my friend Pavlina in the raised garden beds, weeding, picking, planting and pulling up lettuce. There was one day I helped to can some corn and one day I planted radishes, but the rest of the time was working with lettuce. This was certainly a little different than when I worked there in my single days, partly because I have two children now, and partly because the first time, lettuce was only part of my weekly work.
Here we were planting lettuce in the greenhouse. That's Pavlina's son on her back. Elisa was in a carrier on my back, too, and stayed happy for about an hour and a half every day. After that, she sometimes had to just persevere for a while.
Pavlina and I had many wonderful conversations as we worked, talking about what God's been speaking to us lately; about child-rearing; about being moms. One thing that really challenged me was when we began to talk about virtue - the virtue that Jesus had in Him which, when the woman with the issue of blood touched the hem of His garment, He perceived had gone from Him. I believe God doesn't want us to be only "good Christians," just trying to live a "good" life, but He wants us to be pressing towards the mark of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. In Revelation chapters 2-3 it talks about "he that overcometh." There's an action, a fervency even, if you will, with which we should be "earnestly contend[ing] for the faith."
How does this correspond with virtue? Well, this is just a thought on my part, but I wonder if, as we are overcoming and getting victory over the things in our sin nature - anger, self-centeredness, unclean thoughts... whatever is in us that is opposed to God - there is something created within us that wasn't there before: virtue. We certainly aren't born with Godly character; we need to acquire it. I believe God wants us to be able to pray for someone who is sick, and they will recover. Not necessarily that we would have the gift of healing per se, but the faith to believe God, the willingness to be used by God, and the nature of God within us, that we would be "vessel[s] unto honor, sanctified, and meet for the Master's use." (2 Tim. 2:21) Then God can work in us and through us.
KW

4 comments:
I think the other plants are mums. It's the wrong time of the year for geraniums. I could be wrong, but that's what they remind me of.
I did a study on virtue a couple years ago. Bro Burt said something at your wedding that got me thinking. I did quite a study on it. I never got into that part of the work virtue though.. very interesting.
I like your blog, I like your thoughts. It would have been fun to be chatting and planting lettuce with you and Pavlina.
Miss Alice,
Yes, there's definitely something about getting your hands in the soil that gets you thinking about all the different parallels between gardening and spiritual principles. From sowing and reaping to breaking up our fallow ground, there's a lot to think about!
Kristi! I love your very own blog! Well done, friend.
Thanks for your wise and deep thoughts.
We'll be back soon - keep the posts coming.
jo
Post a Comment