Sunday, June 1, 2008

Our Busy Weekend

This weekend was filled with projects and new experiences. I didn't bring my camera, but I got a few pictures after the fact, and I guess that will have to do!

First was Saturday morning, when David announced that we were going to plant our garden. He drew a diagram of our raised bed in the backyard and thought of all the things we'd like to plant in it. Once we had our plan of action, off we went to the nursery and bought a bunch of vegetable plants and a few herbs. It was fun looking through the greenhouses and the kids enjoyed riding in a wagon!

Since our raised bed is made of cement blocks, we thought we'd fill up the holes in the sides with dirt to plant the herbs in. I already had some chives growing next to our front step, and I decided I'd like to move those to the garden as well, and plant some flowers up front instead. David told me to go ahead and look for the flowers I had in mind, and I found some beautiful cock's comb (I can't remember their Latin name) that came in brilliant colors, which is what I was looking for. Aren't they pretty? Those are my irises behind them.



On our way home from the greenhouse, we stopped at the exotic pet store in town (can you believe we even have one!?) where they were having a petting zoo with sheep, goats, and a llama. The funny thing is, Joshua was more interested in a balloon flapping around in the wind than the animals! We went indoors and saw lizards, fish, ferrets, gerbils, turtles, snakes, rabbits and birds of all kinds. The kids seemed to like that; Joshua got to pet a rabbit. Elisa just looked.

Out to our garden we went that afternoon and planted our veggies: tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, corn and green beans. The kids really enjoyed getting their hands in the dirt, and as long as the dirt stayed in the garden, we didn't mind. Then we filled up the space they were playing in, and they were rather disappointed that they couldn't dig the dirt up anymore. It was fun while it lasted!

I planted my herbs: cilantro, stevia and basil, also transplanting the chives from the front yard. They are the droopy ones at far left. I think they are in a bit of shock from being moved, but they will be fine.


We waited till today when it was less windy and planted lettuce, swiss chard and carrots. David set up a fence for cucumbers, squash and lima beans, and we planted those as well. We are looking forward to harvesting!

Finally, David has been working on making a bunk bed/crib for our kids. He's got the base fitted together and spent much of this evening sanding it and a few pieces of the top bunk. I'll have to post a picture of the finished project.

So there's a smattering of events!

3 comments:

An Old Fashioned Girl said...

Sounds like a fun day!!! I just love fresh cilantro out of the garden, it's great on anything.

Rebecca said...

I've been wanting to do our garden for weeks!!! Yours looks great!

David building bunk beds?! WOW!! I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Anonymous said...

oppss!!! That was Katie, I forgot I was on Rebecca's computer!