Last week David came up from his office with the latest Gaither project in his hands. It was a 2-DVD, 2-CD set of hymns, and it had just come in the mail.
I thought I'd check out the DVD's first. Between many of the songs were interviews that Bill Gaither had done with different singers, and also with his wife, Gloria. It was some of Gloria's thoughts that have stuck with me. Sorry, I don't have the exact quotes, but I'll paraphrase as closely as possible!
"It's important for parents to teach their children true things that they don't yet understand, whether great quotes from literature, or Bible verses, or hymns. Don't worry if you say that they don't understand it yet. The time will come when they will.
"...Like the Psalm says, 'Thy word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against Thee." The same is true of hymns... They are portable pieces of theology that throw us a lifeline when we need it. But if they aren't hidden in our heart, they won't be there to serve."
[Regarding the lyrics she had written to a song]
"... I remember thinking, 'I hope people know I can't do this myself yet. Maybe never.' But I think you need to have ideas bigger than yourself, to challenge you to live up to the standard you are singing about. Somebody said, 'If you want to be happy, lower your expectations.'
The truth is, if you want to be great, raise them."
Ok, Kristi here again. These thoughts were things I believed already, but Mrs. Gaither put them into words very well. I know what I've written isn't exact, but I believe I have maintained the idea she was trying to convey. Maybe I'll watch the DVD again and jot down the full quote, just to make sure I didn't leave anything out. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment