Monday, October 22, 2007

A Smattering of Events

Life has continued to be busy. We have gone to see our niece, Anna, in the hospital a couple of times, and the first time, even though she was unable to talk, she smiled when she saw me. That blessed me so much! She's been such a trooper, and it's so encouraging to know how many people have been standing with her and her family in prayer. We are hoping to go and see her again soon.

Last Friday afternoon I got this urge to bake something - enough for company. I like cooking well enough, but to really FEEL like cooking something doesn't happen every day. So, I ran an idea past David and called our friends Jim and Connie at 3:30 in the afternoon. I asked them to come over for homemade pizza, and to my delight (and somewhat to my surprise, given such late notice) they were able to come! I had made a spinach-artichoke dip as well, which was part of my reason for wanting company. I made the full recipe which was *grins sheepishly* two quarts' worth, and after looking at that casserole dish piled to the top with dip, well, it seemed somehow wrong to keep just to ourselves!

They came bringing Ginger Brew (POTENT ginger ale) and we had a great time of fellowship and feasting. It's kind of rare to have company, so that was a special treat for me.

Our friend Tim came that night also and stayed over. He had to pick up ice cream for First Fruits, so it was convenient to come up our way. Next morning he and David talked sports and politics and tossed a football in the street for a while, then he headed out.

Then I read Piercing the Darkness that evening and finished it up on Sunday afternoon. That is why I haven't posted anything for a while! Big, thick action-packed thrilling novel was taking up that time. So tonight you have a summary of the past few days.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

yeah!!! I love to cook... but, I'm like you, I'm not always in the mood. Have you read Piercing the Darkness before?? Did you like it? Did you ever find that movie you were looking for?
I'm looking for a good book to read, any suggestions???

Kristi said...

Yes, I've read it, but it's been a few years. I knew the good guys won, but didn't remember how, so it was still as good as the first time!
I did find the movie. It was just buried in the un-alphabetically-ordered drama section. It took about three scourings before I finally spotted it. After all that, I thought the movie was pretty good. I haven't read the book since they don't have it at the library here, but I'll see if I can get it thru interlibrary loan.
A good book... Well, I like Walks The Fire by Stephanie Grace Whitson. She's from Lincoln NE, and since I grew up there, it was kind of neat to read about early Nebraska. It's about a pioneer woman's life and her walk with God through joy and tragedy. I'll warn you ahead of time that I was crying by the third chapter! It's the first in a 3-book series, and I think it's the best one, although the others are pretty good too.

Anonymous said...

Fun, Kristi! Your meal sounds AMAZING! I'm never in the mood to cook except cookies...I'm always in the mood for cookies! I started Piercing the Darkness and boy is it ever action packed!
I think you all need to take a vacation and come visit us sometime...

Mrs. Anna T said...

I wonder what pizza recipe you use. The ones I tried so far all came out rock-hard!

Kristi said...

Anna,
I know what you mean. This crust was pretty crispy, too, and I prefer a little chewier crust. I have one other recipe that I haven't used for a while, and I think it's better. I'll have to test it out and let you know for sure.