Over the years I have thought a lot about music, since I am "musically inclined" and want my praise and worship to be pleasing to the Lord. Included in this is what kind of music I listen to.
Back in June when Hannah came for a visit, we were talking about this. I think we were watching the special features from Facing the Giants, and I told her I liked the song "The Voice of Truth" by Casting Crowns, which is played at the end of the movie.
Oh what I would do to have
The kind of strength it takes to stand before the giant
With just a sling and a stone
Surrounded by the sound of a thousand warriors
Shaking in their armor
Wishing they could have the strength to stand
And the giant's calling out my name
And he laughs at me
Reminding me of all the times I've tried before and failed
The giant keeps on telling me time and time again
I can never win
Never win
But the voice of Truth tells me a different story
The voice of Truth says,
"Do not be afraid."
And the voice of Truth says "This is for My glory."
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe
The voice of truth.
Now, this song is pretty contemporary but the words bless me tremendously. We were talking about this, and Hannah shared something with me that struck me as very profound and challenged me.
She said that music has the ability to encourage, strengthen, and bless us. It is a very powerful thing that God created and many times He speaks to us in a song. The thing that really drove it home for me was this:
"Music has the ability to bless us, and that's a good thing. There are times when we need that, and God uses it. But there's a place that God wants us to come to where our music [the music we listen to] blesses Him."
That has really made me ponder and seek to get beyond my own circumstances/needs/ feelings when I'm praising the Lord and simply bless Him. Is my music collection what He likes?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I love that song!I agree it's pretty rocky, but the words are great.
Chris Tomlin and Mark Schultz are nice. Songs about walking those streets of gold, how my life has changed, and how good God is are nice.
But Casting Crowns. Wow. Although I don't listen to them much at all, I really respect them in that they don't just stick to the "sweet Christianity" stuff. They don't just tell non-Christians how great it is. They convict Christians. Everytime I hear "If We are the Body" (which you can watch on UTube, or read the lyrics of here), I feel guilty. Everytime I hear "Does Anybody Hear Her" I'm convicted. They write some seriously good stuff.
One of my favorites too :) We have the 'live at Atlanta' copy of the song and there are no drums in it so that is really nice.
Good thoughts on music. I'll remember that one.
Kristie,
I dont know if you remember me but, I am Sharen and Bruce Buckmasters granduoghter. I live in Oklahome. I remember seeing you at Nathon and Janelle Baughmans wedding. I just wanted to say you are so right about about how music is a blessing and how it upliftes people. I play that violin so it is alway an extra blessing for me to be able do that too.
Hi Kristina!
It was good to hear from you. Thanks for your comment! How long have you been playing violin? I would love to learn; it's a beautiful instrument.
Post a Comment