Monday, October 29, 2007

Translation of a poem by John of the Cross

I am not moved, my God, to love You
By the heaven You have promised me.
Neither does hell, so feared, move me
To keep me from offending You.
It is Your love that moves me, and in such a way
That even if there were no heaven,
I would love You,
And if there were no hell,
I would fear You.
For even if I did not hope for what I hope,
As I love You now, so I would love You.

I found this on a flier under the china cabinet at the Sawyer's long ago. The words just went straight to my heart because I wanted to get married. I had a promise that God was shaping and molding "him" for me, and I thank Him for that promise.

My heart, however, was not completely His. My desire for marriage was pretty much on the throne of my heart. This was one of the kingdoms that was warring in my soul against the King of Kings.

Then I found this poem. The words, "I am not moved, my God, to love You By the heaven You have promised me..." suddenly jumped out at me as saying, "By the husband You have promised me." And at the end - "For even if I did not hope for what I hope... I would love You."

I knew this. I'd read the "Believe and be satisfied" letter. I knew God was supposed to be first in my heart, but this somehow took hold of my heart and gave me an anchor, if you will.

As I look on it from this side of marriage, this poem still applies. There are things that war in our souls in every season of life, and in everything, the Lord still desires to sit on the throne of our hearts. It is up to us to let Him.

No comments: